Diesel Mechanic in Sellersburg, Indiana
Contract to Hire
Shift: Mon. - Fri. 1st or 2nd, and Sat. & Sun. 1st (alternating days)
Pay: $18 - $22/hour + OT
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform repairs and maintenance of company tractors, trailers, and equipment through proper diagnostics, troubleshooting, and use of hand tools, precision measuring instruments and machine tools with minimum assistance.
- Perform preventive maintenance inspections as specified, using mechanics hand tools and variety of shop equipment, which may include refrigeration, hydraulic jacks or hoits, welding and air pressure equipment, and other equipment as necessary.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and perform mechanical repairs and adjustments: liftgate, PTO, emissions, air conditioning/heating, cab, instruments, brakes, frame, steering, suspension, tires, wheels, drive train, electrical system, engine system, trailer, refrigeration, cryogenic trailers and pumping equipment, live floor trailers, and other components which may need repair with minimal assistance.
- Complete work orders, charge parts, time cards, and other required documents using computer, manuals, parts book, and maintenance codes.
- Wash equipment as needed.
- Drive service vehicle to pick up parts from outside vendors and respond to road calls, based on the operational needs per location.
- Drive vehicles within company property and drive on public roads as required.
- Attend all safety required meetings and perform all work as per OSHA, State and Federal guide lines.
- Assist in communication with outside vendors, customers and management to ensure proper work flow, sourcing of outside parts/labor estimates, and status of units within the shop.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Diesel Mechanic Requirements:
- 3+ years of experience with experience working on a variety of tractor / trailer, medium / heavy equipment required.
- DOT brake certification and 1 year DOT Inspections required
- Must be able and willing to take self-paced on-line training programs and certification tests from various manufacturers as required.
- Must be proficient using volt/ohm meter and proficient reading schematics to make proper electrical diagnosis and repair.
- Must be able to use diagnostic computer or read and clear fault codes.
- Must possess a positive work attitude.
- Must provide your own hand tools.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- ASE certifications.